Sunday 7 November 2010

THE WEBB BROTHERS

... so I find myself in an indie record shop in Exeter in 2003 and start chatting to Amy behind the counter who is very, very attractive and she tells me The Webb Brothers 3rd album "The Webb Brothers" is out today.  I tell Amy that up to that point I had been a big fan of their "Maroon" album and had seen them do a couple of gigs at the Cavern Club in the city and was very impressed.  Amy was very pleased to report that the new album does not disappoint and I acquired a copy there and then.  I leave Amy and head home in the rain.  "The Webb Brothers" is produced by the boys themselves and Neal Ostrovsky(who also plays Drums) and is THE album of 2003 with beautiful chilled out songs contained in the very Floydsy "The World Is Big", the 10cc influenced "Just As Sweet" and the haunting, Neil Young feel of "The Chill".  Fast track to Thursday 23rd October 2003 and I catch The Webb Brothers only gig to support the album in the UK at the Scala, Kings Cross and I chat to the Webbs in particular Christiaan who voices his disappointment with Warners Music for not promoting the album properly....

... November 2009 and The Webb Brothers return with father Jimmy Webb to release "Cottonwood Farm" an album of Jimmy Webb classics re-recorded including a sublime version of "The Highwayman" and beautiful vocals from James Webb on "Where The Universes Are".  With also a few new Webb Brothers songs to boot, "Cottonwood Farm" is a homespun piece of Americana Webb style.  A gig at the Union Chapel in London brings "Cottonwood Farm" to Islington and I sit on the holy pews with a can of Red Stripe and hear Jimmy and his sons (and The Magic Numbers) perform a set that includes  "MacArthur Park" "Up, Up and Away" and "All I Know".

The after show party finds me drinking more Red Stripe and some great photographs with The Webb Brothers....

                                             with Christiaan Webb


with Justin Webb

                                        With Jimmy Webb and James Webb

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great album (2003). It passed me by back then but I'll hunt it down and give it a listen.

    ReplyDelete